Sunday, July 14, 2013

There and back again, what I (Porter) learned from the 'world beyond.'

It has been a little over a month now since the four of us returned from what may very well be the most epic adventure of our young lives. By no means was it some herculean endeavor, but the experience will forever remain in our hearts as an unforgettable road of exploration and discovery. Experience has an unusual capacity to change us and, it is these changes that I hope to capture here. Time has passed rather quickly since being home, but that month or so of separation has allowed these remarkable experiences to sink deep in my soul and take their place in the very fabric of who I am and who I hope to become.

A world of contrasts.

I’m not naïve or oblivious to where I come from. I understand very well that the upbringing I had was something unique, and statically speaking, an absolute anomaly.  Nor do I believe to be speaking presumptuously to say that all four of us, Dustin, Justin and Derek included, come from a blessed life that few can even dream of.

I grew up in a safe suburb just outside Columbus, Ohio. In my youth I rarely had want for anything and admit that my biggest adolescent concern was whether or not I would make the high school basketball team. Surrounded by wealth, safety and other people just like me I spent those formative years of my life protected from the hardships that the rest of the world faces on a daily basis. Thus, the four of us set out on the adventure of a lifetime, empowered by the dreamer’s spirit, seeking something none of us could define with any real clarity. We knew we wanted experience; we just weren’t sure what that was.

We quickly found ourselves wandering like vagabonds through countries that had endured centuries of poverty, revolution and extended periods of oppression. Early on I was overwhelmingly impressed by the profundity of the European footprint distinctly left on these places. It was undeniably clear that countries with more European influence held more power and as a result, held more of the wealth. If you have any doubt about this spend a few days in rural Bolivia, a country where more than half of the population claims indigenous descent. I was fascinated by the contrasts that I saw, both within South America itself and how it differed from its neighbor to the North.

We tried our best to avoid a ‘tourist experience’ and sought to make friends with people at every turn. It was catching a glimpse through the eyes of these people that caused something inside me to change, as if my heart was softening with compassion. In these precious moments, spending time with miners who had been hard at work since thirteen or staying the night with a family on a remote island of lake Titicaca, I realized the exceptionality of my life. An extraordinary sense of gratitude was instilled in me that I pray I never forget.

The infinite power of hope.

As our trip continued, this newfound gratitude became the foundation for further lessons and experiences. A deep respect came upon me for the many people we met, whose circumstances were dire, yet maintained an unwavering sense of hope. Many had nothing but still managed to find meaning and happiness. Everything I had learned from our often materialistic American culture said that this should not be (actually I don’t believe this ‘value’ is strictly American, but is found in every country throughout the world. Mankind in general has a horribly self-defeating habit of seeking what he doesn’t have with a corrosive obsession). At the same time, I saw many who buckled under the burdens of poverty and turned to alcohol and other forms of ‘escape’ to cope.

I often asked myself what is the difference? What separates the eternally happy from the perpetually miserable? And though it sounds cliché, both my personal experience and scientific studies (I am a statistics guy, after all) have shown that there is little correlation between money and happiness. I decided then that the major virtue holding back the ferocious tide of unhappiness is hope. The most inspiring figures that we met on our journey all shared an undying sense of hope. It was hope that helped them find happiness in the present, have faith in tomorrow and accept the past as unalterable.

Invigorated and inspired by this experience I came to understand that the only limit in life is oneself. Our lives lay within our control, and while we can’t change what happens to us, we always have power over how we react. Thus I return home with the desire to develop and harness the infinite power of hope that I observed over those forty, enlightening days.

Breaking the bubble.


As I said before, I grew up in a bubble, a warm incubator of familiarity and safety. I don’t believe I ‘m alone in this experience though. All too often we allow ourselves to get comfortable with life and cling to what is familiar and recognizable. As a result we miss out on potentially life-altering experiences that can enrich and add meaning to life. I learned that the world is so much bigger than the gated communities of an Ohio suburb or a carefully insulated campus in Provo, Utah. It is only limited by us and our capacity to dream. I encourage anyone reading this to find a way to break out of your ‘bubble’ and try something new.  Life is fleeting and should be an adventure; all we need to do is take the plunge.

-Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment